Spicy sweet potato, butternut squash and coconut soup

As the packets of prepared butternut squash and sweet potato were on special at the supermarket, I had bought a couple of them with the idea of making soup this week.  I had some of the sauce left over from last nights tea, minus the prawns, in the fridge. I added this to the soup once it had finished cooking just before pureeing.  I also used the remains of the coconut milk from last nights meal and a couple of teaspoons of the Red Thai curry paste.
This was a bit of a throw it all in and see what happens, but as I have made a similar soup from a recipe I guessed it would work. The result was a really lovely, spicy, creamy and flavoursome soup.  I'm not eating it as I'm out for lunch today, but it will keep for a couple of days and feed Steve.


Ingredients
Serves 4
olive oil
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 x 500g, pack of prepared sweet potato and butternut squash
750 ml of vegetable stock
200 ml or thereabouts of coconut milk
2 teaspoons of Red Thai curry paste (ground cumin and curry powder would be an alternative)
salt and Pepper to taste
A squeeze of lime juice before serving (optional but very nice)


Method
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, fry the onion until golden, add the chopped vegetables and sweat for about 5 minutes until starting to soften, add the stock, coconut milk and red curry paste. Cover and leave to simmer for about 20 min until the vegetables are soft. Puree with a blender. Add a squeeze of lime juice just before serving. Season to taste.
















Comments

Popular Posts