Roast shoulder of Lamb with roast vegetables

I have never cooked a shoulder of lamb before, usually I would go for a leg of lamb, but as this was only cut available in my local shop I thought I'd give it a try. I thought it was a bit fatty but had plenty of flavour. I usually accompany roast lamb with roast vegetables, today these were, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots and red onion. The only thing I parboiled was the potatoes and put them in about 15 mins before the rest of the vegetables. They all cooked together for a good hour or so in a hot oven around 200C. I made the Yorkshire puddings, they were no where near as impressive as the ones that Rachel made a couple of weeks ago. Steve had the good sense when we put our kitchen in years ago to put in two identical ovens side by side, so I am able to cook things at different temperatures. 


Ingredients
Serves 8
1.5 kg shoulder of lamb, off the bone
olive oil
salt and pepper
garlic cloves
a small tin of anchovies (optional)
fresh rosemary


Method
Lay the anchovy fillets on top of the lamb in a roasting dish. Season with some black pepper and sprinkle with olive oil. Lay some rosemary and garlic cloves around the lamb and roast in a very hot oven for 15 mins at 220C. Turn down to 150C and roast for a another 1-2 hours depending on how pink you like the lamb. I cooked mine for about an hour and a half, I would have preferred it more pink. Leave the meat to rest covered in foil for at least 10 mins.


For the gravy I added some flour, some red wine and some water to the juices from the lamb. I added a little redcurrant jelly to give the gravy a little sweetness.




Comments

Popular Posts