Maple and pepper glazed chicken with roasted carrots


A lovely meal to follow a very emotional day at James leavers assembly at school. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was crying before it started, as Whitney Houston's "The Greatest Love of all" was playing whilst showing photos of all the year six children. I have to go through it all again tomorrow in a church service too. This is a recipe from Olive magazine a couple of years ago, bulk it out with some new or roast potatoes. I wish I'd done more roasted carrots they are so tasty.


Ingredients
3 carrots , quartered
olive oil
2 small, skinless chicken breasts
1 garlic clove, sliced
½ tbsp black peppercorns , coarsely ground
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup
100ml chicken stock


Method
Heat the oven to 200C/fan. Toss the carrots in 2 tsp oil and season. Roast for 20-25 minutes until tender. Flatten the fat part of the chicken under some baking paper. The side of a rolling pin works well, or a heavy tin. Season the chicken.
Drizzle a non-stick frying pan with a little olive oil and put over a medium heat. Brown the chicken on both sides for a couple of minutes until golden, then remove. Add the garlic and pepper and cook for a minute. Add the vinegar and deglaze the pan. Add the maple syrup and stock, and simmer until syrupy, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken back to the pan and cook for another 5-6 minutes, turning to cook in the glaze. Serve with the carrots.

Comments

  1. Yum. OK, so I'm thinking I go through your archive and note my favourites, arrange to lodge at yours for, say, a week, and have my fave dishes for lunch and dinner. Do you take bookings by credit card?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour! Il faut rester chez vous pendant un mois parce que la nourriture est délicieux! I am back! I had holiday in France and I met with Pierre. He said to me say "hello" to the blog of Sally! Pierre looks still at your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sal, made this tonight and it was really easy and delicious! I made plenty of carrots and it was clear plates all round! (again) thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jane, I love this dish, I'll have to do it again soon. Hope you enjoying the last of the holidays and must catch up soon. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts