Japanese crispy chicken with chilli dipping sauce


I apologise for the quality of the photo, it was taken on James Ipod Touch as I haven't got my camera at the moment. Another Asian themed meal last night from John Torode, in an old edition of Olive Magazine.  Sometimes when I cook I don't enjoy the meal as much as the other people eating it, I'm quite critical of my own cooking. But this one was one of the nicest meals I have made in a long time. I have never had so many compliments from James during a meal, one of them being "it tastes so nice it's like having a Chinese Takeaway". Although it was way better than a chinese takeaway, I appreciated his sentiments. Rachel said it was like McDonalds chicken nuggets, which I strongly disagreed with.  I made the recipe for six of us last night, so the frying in batches did take a while, but I just kept the fried ones warm in the oven until it was all ready. I used bought sweet chilli dipping sauce instead of making it so I will leave out the recipe for the chilli sauce.

Ingredients Serves 6
3cm piece of root ginger
100ml of sake or dry sherry (I used dry sherry)
50ml soy sauce
4 finely chopped spring onions
4 skin on chicken breasts, cut into 2 cm chunks (mine were skinless)
ground nut oil or sunflower oil
200g plain flour
1 red chilli shredded

Method
Peel and grate and ginger and squeeze the juice into a bowl. Mix the sake or sherry, soy sauce and most of the spring onion with the juice and add the chicken, turn over and leave to marinade for 1-2 hours. I left it a bit late to do this and the flavour was fine, though if you can leave it that long,do.
Fill a wok or a saucepan one third full of oil and heat over a medium heat. Drain the chicken from the marinade, toss in the flour, shake off the excess flour then fry the pieces in batches. Cook for about 3 mins on each side until crisp and golden. Drain briefly on a kitchen towel to get rid of any excess oil. Serve sprinkled with the remaining onion and chilli on a warm plate with sweet chilli sauce for dipping.

Comments

  1. We all liked these. Mine did not look as good as in your picture but did taste good. Will certainly try the recipe again, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts