Paprika lamb with roasted peppers and tomatoes


My sister asked me the other day if I was sick of doing my blog yet, the truth is I love doing it. It inspires me to try many new recipes and it makes my day when someone says how useful they find it.  Although this new meal I made last night cooked for a long time the preparation was effortless and the result was a beautifully tender piece of lamb with really lovely flavours. I didn't make all of the side dishes that appeared in Olive magazine, red onion salsa, guacamole and homemade tortillas. I would maybe have done this for a weekend meal, it just seemed a bit much effort for a midweek meal. I bought tortilla wraps. I had a much smaller piece of lamb last night and just reduced the ingredients and the cooking times just slightly. Though I don't think you could overcook this. 

Ingredients
Serves 6
2kg leg of lamb
2 lemons zested and juiced
olive oil
½ tbsp cumin seeds
½ tbsp smoked paprika
150ml white wine
500g baby plum tomatoes
2 romano peppers (I used romiro peppers, I think normal peppers would be fine too).
4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole

Method
Heat the oven to 220C. Put the lamb into a deep sided casserole dish and squeeze the lemon juice over it. Rub the oil over the skin and sprinkle with the zest, cumin seeds and paprika and season well. Put in the oven for 25-30 mins to brown a little.
Reduce the heat of the oven to 160C. Pour the wine over the lamb, cover with a lid and cook for a further 2½ hours.
After this time, put the tomatoes, whole peppers and garlic cloves in and around the lamb and return to the oven for a further hour (by which time the lamb will be soft and melting and will pull apart with a fork).
Take the lamb carefully out of the casserole and put on a large board to rest in a warm place. Strain the liquid into a pan saving the tomatoes, peppers and garlic and simmer the pan juices reducing the liquid by half to make a tasty thickened gravy.
Pull the meat into chunks from the bone using a fork. Slice the peppers and serve the lamb with the tomatoes, peppers and garlic cloves and gravy poured over, wrapped up in tortillas.



Comments

  1. Bonjour! Please do not stop righting this blog! It is good to read. I like to right comments about the nice food. It makes my English righting more better. Pierre, he likes also to read the blog in France! But we are both confused about the shoes. You eat shoes in England?! A bientôt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts