Spicy butternut squash and coconut soup

I'm finding it difficult to please a certain young lady in my house at the moment. Could it be because she is coming up to thirteen? All of a sudden there is a huge list of food that she doesn't like. I'm not used to this as she has always eaten and enjoyed most things I make. I'll just go with it, it may be a phase, she will surely get sick of pitta bread pizza and beans on toast. I made this soup for tea for the kids tonight it's a similar recipe to one I did way back in February. It's delicious for this time of year, autumnal, warming and hearty.  I used a full tin of coconut milk in it, as the leftovers would have just gone off in the fridge. This just makes it more creamy. The sweet potato chips are a first time recipe for me, I'll post the recipe tomorrow if they work. Both recipes are from a book called 'No fuss suppers'.

Ingredients
Serves 4
25g butter
1 large onion, roughly chopped
185 g carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
500g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
½ tsp of cumin
1 tsp curry powder
750ml of stock (I use bouillon)
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
170ml of tinned coconut milk
Freshly squeezed juice of half a lime
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
A handful of fresh coriander (optional)

Method
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the onion, carrot and squash and gently sauté for 5 - 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the cumin and curry powder and stir over a medium heat for 1 minute until the vegetables are well coated with the spices.
Stir in the stock, sugar and coconut milk and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until  the vegetables are cooked through and soft.
Blend the soup until smooth, either in a blender or food processor. Taste and season with salt and pepper, then add the lime juice. Stir in the chopped coriander. Pour the soup into warmed bowls and swirl some extra coconut milk over the top (oops, I've used all mine in the soup).








Comments

Popular Posts