Braised sausages in red wine


Sausage and Mash for grown ups. This is my second in line to a beef casserole on a cold wintery day. It is so long since I made this dish, but with the first mouthful I was reminded why it used to be one of my favourites. It's a classic Delia recipe, which I first had about 20 years ago in a cosy cottage with friends in Yorkshire, cooked by a good friend. It takes me back to that time every time I have it. I think Delia may have updated the recipe since then, but to me this is perfect as it is.

Ingredients
450g good quality pork sausages 

225g lean streaky bacon in one piece cut into cubes (I used a back of smoked back bacon, chopped)
225g small button onions (I used 1 large onion, sliced)
olive oil
1 heaped teaspoon plain flour
275 ml of red wine
1 clove garlic crushed
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon chopped fresh or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
175g mushrooms, sliced if large,
salt and freshly milled black pepper

Method
Fry the sausages in some olive oil in a casserole dish or large lidded pan until browned. Remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon, then add and lightly brown the bacon cubes and onions in some olive oil. When they're done, sprinkle in the flour to soak up the juices, then gradually stir in the wine. Now pop the sausages in, plus the garlic, bay leaf, thyme and a little seasoning. Put the lid on when simmering point is reached, turn the heat as low as possible and simmer very gently for 30 minutes.
After that add the mushrooms, stirring them in well, then leave everything to cook for a further 20 minutes - this time without a lid. (I forgot to remove the lid)






Comments

  1. Now you know this is getting the big thumbs up right? That literally has my mouth a-tingle

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks a great one for the kids too, not just the adults, and all in one pot which as you know I love. Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sal, making this for dinner tonight, it's suddenly all turned wintery...bbrrrr...x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts