Tuna and Pasta Bake


I wasn't going to blog this meal I made last night. I was struggling for something to make for tea and knowing it would have to be something with pasta, found this recipe while trawling through the pasta recipes on the Good Food Website. It's very much a store cupboard meal, a bit of a studenty one at that. I found it a bit tasteless as the mature cheddar I used didn't seem to have much flavour. Rachel had two of her friends here around tea time and they both had a sneaky little taste, they both thought it was gorgeous. Obviously a good one for kids and if I did make it again I would just use a more flavoursome cheese. I added the cheese to the sauce, though the recipe states just to sprinkle the cheddar on top. I think a little bit more mustard and perhaps some parmesan might have improved the flavour too. 

Ingredients
Serves 4
400g fusilli pasta
100g frozen peas
50g butter
50g plain flour
600ml milk
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 x 195g cans tuna, drained
4 spring onions, sliced
198g can sweeetcorn, drained
100g cheddar, grated


Method
Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook, following pack instructions, until tender. Add the peas for the final 3 mins cooking time.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 mins. Add the milk, whisking constantly, then slowly bring to the boil, stirring often, until sauce thickens. Remove from the heat, add the mustard and season well.
Heat the grill to medium. Drain the pasta and peas, then return to the pan and stir in the tuna, spring onions, sweetcorn and sauce. Tip into a shallow baking dish, top with the cheddar and cook under the grill for 5 mins or until golden and bubbling.

Comments

  1. Dave Airey and I used to make a version of this in his student digs in Newcastle back in the day. More precisely, he used to make it and used to help eat it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess this will be in every student cookbook and on every students repertoire. I remember Jo cooking this quite often too in the Fenham days.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts