Lentil, tomato and spinach soup


This is a vegetarian version of the Lentil and Bacon soup I have posted previously. It is every bit as tasty and full of goodness. I used up the vegetables I had in the fridge today and have enough soup left over for another couple of lunches. I chopped up a lemon to squeeze on top, a little tip I picked up from lunch at a friends the other day.

Ingredients
Serves 4
1 medium onion, chopped small
1 tbsp Olive oil
3 carrots, peeled and grated
1 litre of vegetable stock 
Approx 300g red lentils (no need to soak)
1, 400g can of chopped tomatoes
1 red chilli, finely sliced (or a pinch of dried red chillies)
A few handfuls of fresh spinach (optional)
1 lemon, cut into small chunks to squeeze on top

Method
Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion and chopped chilli until cooked. Add the grated carrot and just lightly fry. Add the lentils and the stock and cook covered for about 20 minutes until the lentils are soft. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and at the last minute stir in the spinach until wilted. Season lightly and serve with the lemon juice squeezed on top.

Comments

  1. Looks delicious Sally. I'm always on the look out for new soup recipes for work. :) Nicole x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole, I make this one all the time. It's incredibly easy and quick to make as it doesn't need much preparation. I find it really filling and it feels healthy. I use Bouillon Powder for the stock which gives it plenty of flavour.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts