Spanish Tortilla


My economical weekly shop arrived today, so tomorrow will be the start of my frugal meals. Today I was eating up bits and pieces from the fridge, but used some of the value eggs which arrived with my shop. As a rule I buy free range eggs, but not this week. Another wonderfully sunny day and a Spanish Tortilla for lunch. I would consider this a fairly frugal meal especially as I missed out the bacon. I did add a chopped red chilli, 1 garlic clove and some paprika. Frugal maybe, but utterly delicious. We ate it cold with a glass of red wine, I felt like I was in Spain. The recipe is from the Good Food Website.

Ingredients

4 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
350g new potatoes, sliced
4 rashers rindless smoked back bacon, chopped
6 large eggs
85g mature cheddar, grated

Method
Heat the olive oil in a small non-stick frying pan, add the onion and potatoes and fry for 8 minutes, turning the veg frequently until tender but not browned. Add the bacon and fry for a further 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a large bowl with plenty of salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese.
Remove the potato mixture with a slotted spoon and stir into the eggs. Reserve most of the excess oil, leaving a little in the pan. Pour in the egg mixture and leave to cook undisturbed over a gentle heat for 8 minutes until firmly set underneath but not set on top.
Invert the tortilla on to a plate and return the pan to the heat with a bit more of the reserved oil. Slide the tortilla back into the pan, uncooked side down, and cook for 5 minutes until set all through. Pack for a picnic or serve in wedges with salad and bread for an easy supper.

Comments

Popular Posts