Hummingbird Bakery Apple Streusel Cake


Anyone else fed up of looking at that banana cake? My mum is, and to be honest so am I. It was a lovely cake and lasted about three days stored in the fridge, still tasting wonderfully fresh. I have made this apple cake for a dessert tonight, as I had a lot of apples in my fruit bowl. It looks and smells great and was relatively easy to make. I am just going to serve it cold with some clotted cream. Well it is still the holiday week.



Ingredients
Serves 8
For the cake
60g unsalted butter
140g plain flour
100g caster sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
80mls whole milk
3 granny smith apples (I used braeburn)

For the streusel topping
70g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
40g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
70g soft light brown sugar

Method
Preheat the oven to 170C.
Grease and line a 20cm spring-form cake tin.
Firstly, make the streusel topping by sifting the flour and cinnamon into a bowl.
Add the butter and rub together using your fingertips until they resemble breadcrumbs.
Add the sugar and set aside.
Secondly, make the sponge by creaming the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
Add the egg and vanilla essence and mix well.
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and then add half to the creamed butter mixture followed by half of the milk.
Repeat with the rest of the flour mixture and milk.
Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
Peel, core and slice the apples and arrange on top of the cake batter.
Sprinkle the streusel topping on top evenly.
Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.
Cake can be eaten warm or cold.


Comments

  1. I love the Hummingbird Bakery cakes. I am going to try this one, thank you! I'd like to see you try your hand at the Hummingbird Bakery carrot cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll add that to my list to try. I’m sure I’ve got the recipe for that one. I do love a carrot cake . Thank you for you comment.

      Delete
    2. Oh I’ve just realised I have made that carrot cake and the recipe is on here 😆

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts