Kidney bean and red pepper burgers


Meat free Monday, and I made the kids the halloumi, chargrilled peppers, rocket and houmous brioche buns. I'd had one for lunch so I wanted something different. Finding a very wrinkled red pepper in the fridge I searched for a bean burger recipe on line. The result was much modified from the recipe to suit the ingredients I had, but it was  really delicious as a meat free meal. If I had made these especially for James he would have complained, but as I didn't offer him one at first he insisted on having one and tucked in enthusiastically.

Ingredients
Makes 6 burgers
1 can is kidney beans, drained and rinsed (the recipe was for black beans)
1 red pepper, deseeded
½ red onion
2 cloves of garlic 
Sprinkle of chilli flakes
½ tsp of cumin
1 egg
3 slices of brown bread made into breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper to season

Method
Heat the oven to 200⁰C. 
Mash the kidney beans in a bowl until relatively broken down. In a food processor whizz together the deseeded pepper, garlic and the half onion. Leave some substance to the vegetables, so don't blitz for too long. Add this to the kidney beans and mix well. Add the spices, egg and breadcrumbs and make sure everything is well combined. Shape into 6 patties and place on an oiled baking tray. Bake in the oven until crispy and cooked through, approximately 20 minutes. I served mine with a slice of fried halloumi on top. 


Note: I have just heated the two that were left over from last night in a frying pan with a little olive oil. Every bit as nice the next day and really tasty with a dollop of lime pickle on top.


Comments

Popular Posts